I can’t wait to show you how to make a burlap carrot door hanger! Don’t you love having a door decorated for spring?
I have to admit, my front porch doesn’t get enough love and each year I say I am gonna step up my game, but I haven’t nailed it yet. The massive winter storm here in Texas did a number on my plants and any remainder of potted plants I had got annihilated! That’s ok, today is a new day and I am gonna do it this year! I am gonna completely refresh that sad little front porch and I’m starting with a cute door hanger to welcome guests.
I’m kind of loving the way I made this burlap door hanger, y’all may already have thought of or seen this technique, but don’t tell me if so. I am feeling pretty crafty making it up on my own. 🤣🤣🤣🤣 There is a secret ingredient that will let you coat burlap so it is stil flexible, able to hang on your door and makes it a paintable surface. All the people said AMEN. Here is the step by step tutorial to make the carrot door hanger of your Easter dreams…
DIY Painted Burlap Door Hanger
- Cut a double ply of burlap in the shape you want your door hanger to be. Make it as big or small as you’d like.
- I used the scraps from my cut out as the greenery on the carrot. I’m all about saving fabric and using alllll the pieces! Paint the burlap green using acrylic craft paint BEFORE you cut the greenery strips for an easier process. I cut my strips approximately 1 inch wide and various lengths.
- I coated the area I wanted to paint my burlap with white acrylic gesso.(Here is a gesso product you can try) You can paint straight on the burlap, but I wanted a more solid surface so the orange would be more solid. The gesso is a craft medium that you can add to paper and fabric to make a flexible, painted surface. It can also be built up for textured areas as well.
- Using acrylic craft paint I painted the body of the carrot orange.
- Hot glue the greenery on the top side of your bottom piece.
- Glue the top piece to the bottom. You can stuff the carrot with extra burlap or stuffing if you want some extra fullness. If you do this, glue all but a small opening, stuff and then glue shut.
- Add a cute bow, raffia or ribbons to finish off your giant carrot.
- Weave a wire loop on the back of your carrot for hanging and enjoy!
This simple door hanger will add a lot of life to your from door and might just tempt the Easter Bunny to hop on by! If you want the bunny to leave some proof, try this fun DIY!
Connect more here:
Text Me / Download Our Free App / E-mail Subscription / Shop / Tik Tok / YouTube / Pinterest / Facebook / Instagram / Courses & Community
Leave a Reply