Maybe I’m weird, but I like everything to look cute. Is that too much to ask? 😂 I absolutely LOVE to light candles and light a cozy fire in the winter, but I’m not about to have an ugly match box lying around. And I can never find a match when I need one because they are all hidden away! Well, now I have the perfect solution – a decorative match box and you can have one too because I have a free printable to go with it (download is at the bottom!) Yay!
You can use this free decorative match box print on just about anything and I will show you a few ways to accomplish this cute look, but use your imagination and then make sure to share what you come up with! I can’t wait to see. There are 10 cute match sayings on thsi print out, so you can pick and share your favorites! For my first match box idea I used one of my favorites – Altoids. You know – those curiously strong mints that come in a cute little tin!? I spray painted the tin white for a clean slate.
Another idea is to use an old mason jar, or even a cool jar from your pantry. You can use these match box labels on a cute box, vase, tin, jar, bowl, whatever vessel you want to house your matches in. Don’t forget this works for small matches you use to light candles or the long fireplace matches!
Next you will print out your free match box labels. You can apply these to your match box in a variety of ways!
Three Ways to Make DIY Labels
- Use the clear packing tape method. This is an awesome trick to make your own clear labels for super cheap. Get the full tutorial here.
- Print the matchbox labels onto clear stickers. I used Avery Matte Clear Shipping Labels for mine. You can grab them here. They come as a standard size sheet of 10 – 2 X 4 labels and if you just print as if you were printing a regular sheet of paper they line up perfectly with the free download. You can try with other brands, just use the same size labels.
- Print on regular paper or cardstock to create your own label. This is a great idea if you want to print on colored paper (brown kraft paper would be so cute!). After you print your match box label cut it down, maybe round the corners and adhere the label to your box of choice with Mod Podge or another adhesive.
To complete your decorative match box you need a strike area. You have two options here. Match strike paper is a special paper so you can either re-use it off the orignial match box or order some, which is what I did! I got this match strike paper that is self adhesive and cut it to fit my vessel!
Other ideas for decorative match boxes
- This would be the perfect gift idea! If you are giving someone a candle, why not make a cute match holder to go with it! (BTW – if you want an AMAZING candle, check out my friend Deb’s candle line here!!!)
- Put a box in the bathroom as a subtle suggestion for those “strike a match” moments.
- Give your man a decorative box for his grill situation – in a glass jar or sealed tin they are rain proof. You can also order waterproof match strike paper!
- Pair a long match box with a smell good fire starter for a warm winter gift.
- Make a waterproof match box set for the camper/adventurer in your life.
- Make a bunch and leave them all over your house, wherever you light candles regularly so you don’t have to hunt for matches anymore!Download your match box sayings here!
Save this blog post for later so you can reprint as needed! Hope this brightens your day. 😂🔥🎇
Connect more here: