I am letting you in on one of my FAVORITE things to do! I seriously love to do this, I do it all the time and anyone can do it. It’s completely free, amen and hallelujah! You might have followed along a while back when I took you shopping with me to a precious store in Waco, Texas ( you can catch the replay here). I did make a few purchases on my outing, but more importantly I shopped for home decor ideas and inspiration. Today I am sharing them with! Along with some pointers on what to look for if you want to hit the stores without breaking the bank! It’s a peek into how I get some of my ideas and inspiration. I really hope it helps you cultivate the home you want, regardless of your budget or decorating experience. Plus – a surprise freebie at the end!
First of all I take pictures in stores. Sometimes you need to ask, some places aren’t good with you doing this. For me it helps jog my memory when I get home. I keep an entire file of pictures on my computer labeled inspiration. I’m not advocating that you run around and copy everything you see, especially to sell yourself – that is not cool, but inspiring your style and stretching a non-existent budget are good reasons for the look but don’t touch kind of shopping I’m sharing today. Here are some amazing ideas I saw and tips on how I look at things!
- I look to see what people are displaying that I already have at home. – Often you will come across a unique twist on an item you already have and aren’t utilizing to it’s fullest potential. We all have some muffin tins, why not set them out in the open for a cute kitchen display on open shelves or a side table? This set up could work for a variety of items that are sitting hidden in your cabinets right now!
- Display ideas – This is probably the number one thing I love to look at and evaluate. How do stores display items and how can I carry that concept back home with me? You will see so much while out shopping if you look past the items and look at the displays, the rooms, the colors, the textures, etc. Look at this bowl of lovelies – wouldn’t it look beautiful to fill a bowl like this on your coffee table?
- Large Scale Decorating Ideas – Pay attention to the interior decor ideas in stores. People are so creative and you can glean from them! Plus large retail stores and restaurants are often professionally decorated and you can easily steal their design ideas! Look at this amazing shutter wall at Junque in the Trunk in Waco. That store was precious and details like this are what made it feel warm and homey. This would be amazing on an entry wall, mud room wall or half bath.
- Color & Graphics – You have a living breathing mood board in front of you when you go to a restaurant, store or small shop. The colors at the new Magnolia Press Coffee Shop are so gorgeous, on trend and an aspect of Joanna that you can take home with you! You get to see what colors look like lived out when you pay attention to color palettes in stores!
- Must Have Products – Sometimes when you shop you come across amazing products you really want to add to your decor or home. I look for the things I can’t make myself, don’t already have something similar to and then I shop online to make sure I get the best price. Even when antique or vintage shopping, it’s way too easy to check pricing online these days if you aren’t confident in paying the price tag you see in front of you. This might d=not be a free idea, but the others help you buy less!
- Don’t forget the outside – I love to shop for plants…that I need to pick up when I get back home. The window boxes at Magnolia are drool worthy and perfect for inspiring a garden palette at my own home. Take pictures, make notes and hit up your local nursery. Even if you don’t know plant names, show them your pictures and a good nursery will get you on track!
- Trend Alert – If you are able to hit up a few stores you will likely see a few trend patterns emerge. You will see certain colors, style and products repeat. If you enjoy mixing some fresh trends into your home this is fun to watch for while shopping. Heads up friends – lattice is making it’s way back and I am kinda lovin’ it!
- Fresh Outlook – Spending the day shopping for ideas is even better paired with a friend. I can’t tell you the refresh this day did for my mental well being. We need community, so I encourage you to grab a friend – old or new and hit the stores for fun conversation and a refresh on your creativity!
- Layers – You will always hear me talking about layering in your decor. Layering texture and color makes for the yummiest of displays. SHopping for ideas on what/how/where to add layers in your house is a great idea. Until you get to where you layer naturally, copy vignettes you see while out and about and your home will become warmer and cozier in no time!
- Easy DIY’s – Some of the displays you see will be so simple you’ll want to smack yourself! Take a picture and do the easy ones when you get back home! Like this simple idea – wrap some cute faux or real wildflowers in parchment paper for a sweet display.
- Table-settings – I adore a beautifully set table and shopping amazing home decor stores for table setting ideas is a blast. You can gather such inspiration! Again take notes or pictures, think about what you have and how you can recreate the look and feel.
- Take it up a notch – Look at the little details that you can add to your home decor. Most of us already have a basket, but how about adding a DIY tag to dress it up? There are TONS of little touches like this you can add to your decor, just go hunt down the inspiration!
- Inspiration – Sometimes the inspiration you need is not about decorating at all, it’s for your soul. Luckily, you can often find that while out shopping too. And men think we just spend money – this is downright therapy! The entry wall to Magnolia Market is always inspiring in more ways than one.
- BONUS TIP – A full belly shops better! Don’t skip a good meal or treat on your outing. 🙂
I could go on and on about how inspiring it is to get out and shop for ideas, it genuinely hits the reset button in my mind. The only roblem is having enough time to come home and do all the things!!! I hope you had fun shopping for ideas today and look at things a little differently the next time you are out. I wanted to surprise you with a freebie today! You can grab a set of scripture prints from the mercantile on me! I am revamping the store and I just know you will love having these prints for your home! Use code HideHisWord in the discount code section upon checkout!
Connect more here: