Y’all are gonna love this easy and super stylish project! I’m about to show you how to bleach tie die a sweatshirt that I grabbed at Walmart! This look is so trendy right now. The best prat is it’s fun to do and very budget friendly for your closet. I even have a video tutorial with this project so you can see two ways to bleach tie dye your threads.
First off my friend pointed me to the awesome sweatshirts at Walmart. They have a good variety of colors and even if you don’t want to tie die your sweatshirt they are super comfortable and the price is right…about $11. Honestly, the sweatshirt is loose fitting, not tight elastic at the bottom, with a banded hem that hangs nicely. The material is soft and not super thick, but just right. We had so much fun bleaching these tops together. It’s the perfect project to do with friends, family and kids.
Once you decide on a color (or three) grab your other supplies! You will need:
Bleach Dye Supplies
Sweatshirt or t-shirt
Empty water bottle or spray bottle
How to Bleach Tie Dye A Sweatshirt
- Lay your sweatshirt out on a flat surface. The video on this page shows the steps if you want to see it done.
- I am sharing 2 ways to bind your sweatshirt for tie dying. The first method is to start in the middle and grab a small chunk of material. Gently twist the sweatshirt until you have a swirly disk.
- Wrap rubber bands around your sweatshirt disk, use at least 4 to 6 for the best results, a few more if you want!
- Lay your sweatshirt disk on a color safe surface. This is really an outdoor project, be very careful or you will bleach things you don’t mean to! I laid some wood in the yard for this part.
- Fill a water or spray bottle with straight bleach and start dosing the sweatshirt with bleach, especially around the rubber band areas. You will want to get the sides and flip your disk. Gloves are helpful for this part.
- Allow the bleach to sit a while, about 20 to 30 minutes. You will see the effects starting immediately, but depending on the color of the sweatshirt, you might want to give it some time for more dramatic results.
- Rinse your sweatshirt and remove rubber bands. You can always repeat if you want more bleaching on your sweatshirt.
- Wash your bleached shirts in the washing machine once alone. Then dry and look like a million bucks.
- For the 2nd style you will lay your sweatshirt out flat.
- Fold the sweatshirt like an accordion, back and forth into a long piece. Wrap rubber bands all up and down the sweatshirt. The more you do the more lines you will get on the finished product.
- Repeat the same steps as above.
- You can try all different types of tying with rubber bands or simply spray bleach on areas you’d like dyed for a unique look. There are no rules in this trendy style!
I’d love to see how you bleach dye your sweatshirt so be sure to tag me when you get yours finished. Have fun and enjoy.
Connect more here:
Text Me / Download Our Free App / E-mail Subscription / Shop / Tik Tok / YouTube / Pinterest / Facebook / Instagram / Courses & Community
Leave a Reply