Who couldn’t use a cheap and easy decorative storage solution? We all have an overabundance of stuff and finding affordable ways to store it elegantly is always a costly decorating challenge. This little project will take you no time at all and leave you with a vintage feeling storage solution!
This rainbow bright feeling photo storage box is quite the sight. I’m not sure what phase I was going through when I picked these colors, but they have run their course here for sure. These photo boxes make for roomy hoarding and are easy to find, but this girl needs some help however I see no need to toss the loud mouth out!
I wanted to do something more than just paint this little storage box. Of course you could do just that for an easy face-lift (if only it were that easy for all of us 😉 ). I rummaged through my stash of old sewing patterns and knew they would be the perfect touch to add some age and character to my sad little storage box.
Isn’t she a cutie now? All well mannered and behaved, not screaming for attention, but elegantly looking the reliable storage part.
Here’s how her makeover went down.
Budget Friendly Decorative Storage Box Tutorial
- Paint your outdated box a nice calm, neutral color. Be sure to paint the whole box, even the part you will cover because if not the original color will show through the sewing pattern! You can use chalk based paint, mineral paint or even latex paint for this project. (BTW – you can perform this makeover with just about any kind of box!)
- Gather some old sewing patterns and cut a large one to cover the surface of your storage box. (or the whole thing if you want to go crazy)
- Paint Mod Podge or Decoupage over the surface you want to cover. I use MATTE Mod Podge because I like the finish it gives. You can chose what suits you.
- Gently lay the sewing pattern over the glue painted area. You might want to start at one end and softly lay down the pattern, smoothing as you go to avoid wrinkles. You will likely have a few wrinkles, but I think that just adds charm so roll with it! At least that’s what I say bout my face. ????
- Tuck the sewing pattern around the edges make sure everything is covered. Allow to dry completely.
- Paint a layer of Mod Podge over the dried sewing pattern for a protective coat. Allow to dry.
- Use these handy decorative storage boxes in bookshelves, on nightstands, tables, in the bathroom or wherever you need to hide some stuff away!
I’d sure love it if you’d pin this before you go so others can find this easy DIY project! Thanks a million.
Connect more here: