Here is a list of the best Hair Care Products I Use and love!
You guys have been asking about my hair care routine and so I am sharing it with you today! It’s important to start off by telling you about my hair so you will know if this hair care regime might work for you. I do love the products I use though, so even if we have different hair types, you might enjoy the product lines I use that are more tailored to your type of hair. Stick with me, there is a lot of information in the post and while all of it may not apply to you I am super hopeful you will find some beauty nuggets to add to your regime!
My hair is very fine and very straight. Like straight as a board. It always has been. I have the kind of hair that doesn’t look great if I grow it longer than shoulder length because it is so fine it just looks scraggly. If I leave it alone in the morning I look a lot like a wet puppy, it does practically nothing if left to its own devices.
That being said there is hope for us fine-haired mavens! I am going to tell you about my life-changing discovery. As I say all the time, I’m often late to the game, but don’t tell me. I like to feel like I am figuring stuff out every once in a while. 🤣🤣 I stopped washing my hair every day and it was miraculous. Now friend listen when I say this. You could have fried chicken in my hair it got so greasy after a day or two of no washing. I never thought that a once or twice-a-week washing routine could EVER work for me. BUT IT DOES and IT’S AMAZING.
I have to admit the older I have gotten the less greasy my hair gets, but it is still not dry or coarse…AT ALL. Let me tell you how this came about. Some month back, I fried my hair. I have NEVER had this happen, but my hair was sizzled on the ends and breaking around my face. I think I used my flatiron on the highest setting but I am not 100% sure what happened. When I was sitting in the salon chair lamenting about my burnt ends the owner of my hair salon told me she was having a “hair class”. Clearly I needed help so, I signed up and went. It was the best money I’ve spent in a while because while I am in my mid 40’s I still don’t all the way know how to do my hair! I encourage you to take advantage of little classes like this or maybe ask your hairdresser if they could have a class or teach you some new stuff. She taught a group of us about how to get away with only washing your hair once a week, how to style your hair in between washing, the best products to use for your hair, and even helped me style my short hair. I decided to take her advice and I will never look back!
Here is how I take care of my hair on a daily and weekly basis.
Haircare For Fine Hair
- I have a product list below, but I am telling you the steps here! Scroll down for the exact products I use and recommend for fine, thin hair care. I will be doing a hairstyling tutorial soon to show you how to care for your hair each day of the week…without washing! Stay tuned. You can also see my short hair styling post here that I did a while back!
- Stop washing daily. But how you might ask? It’s all about products. You HAVE to have to correct products and all products are not created equal. I try new things all the time and in 6 months I might have a new favorite, but the list below is what I am using now and what I truly believe in.
- Clarify. I find that hair care products are sometimes expensive, but the right ones are worth it. Let’s talk shampoo. You can spend more on shampoo when you are only shampooing once or twice a week. I tried a new line of shampoo and it is lasting me MONTHS because I use it so little. On the days you do shampoo start with a clarifying shampoo. This will help get all the product you use on your hair throughout the week out of your hair, clean your scalp and help you keep a healthy head of hair.
- Toning Shampoo. This is a special line item for the blondes and white haired ladies in the crowd. If your hair yellows of your blonde turns “brassy” aka too orangey yellow then you should add a toning shampoo to your mix. I use a violet shampoo a few times a month, or the shampoo system I recomend below is made especially for blonde/white/light hair and is a non-violet. I love both of them. These products make a huge difference on the color and tone of your hair f you are a natural grey/white haired person or if you do blonde highlights/color.
- Shampoo. You have to find the right shampoo for your hair type. It really doesn make a difference. I have linked my favorties, but I encourage you to try a few until you get the right fit. I tend to stay away from cheap grocery store shampoos because they typically weigh my hair down and my hair looks dirty quick.
- Conditioner. Yes, even with super fine hair I use a conditioner. It seals the hair and leaves it feeling healthy and moisturized – in the correct way when you get the correct product!
- Wet Brush. I actually use three different brushes in the course of taking care of my hair start to finish. The newest addition (that I learned at my hair class) is a wet brush. You can use this brush in the shower to brush shampoo and conditioner through your hair and rid the tangles that fine hair so easily gets. I use it out of the shower too. It’s great for brushing my hair before bad and in the morning and before I start styling it again. I recommend getting two and leaving one in the shower and one where you dress. I also prefer the solid plastic body wet brish over the wet brush that has a rounded face. The solid one is sturdier in my opinion.
- Wrap. This is obviously am option, but my mom bought me one of those “as seen on TV” hair wraps that is supposed to miracle dry your hair and I kinda like it. It does NOT miracle dry your hair, but it does help it dry faster and removes some moisture. I like it becasue it is lightweight, I can wrap my shower wet hair and wear it while I get dressed and do my make-up. By the time I get to my hair it is much drier than it would be without a towel wrap. Just a little bonus info for ya.
- Dry Shampoo. This is the golden ticket if you ask me. It did the magic trick of allowing me to go from washing my hair every day to washing it once or twice a week. BUT – you have to have a good dry shampoo. My daughter and I have tried others and not been impressed. I am recomending a few in the supply list for you to pick from. Basically you spray this at the root of your hair, on the scalp in the areas that get oily and like magic, they because amazing. It also adds body and fullness to your otherwise limp hair. Queue the Hallalujah chorus.
- Oil. Sometimes, not all the time I will use a light hair oil on my wet hair after I wash it. If I want a little extra protection, shine and care it is a good addition. Use a very small amount and pour it in your hand, work it through the ends of your hair with your fingers or wet brush. Dry and style as normal.
- High Heat Protection. If you style your hair with a good blow dryer and some sort of heat tool you are adding a lot of heat to your hair and a heat protectant can really save it. Especially so you don’t look like the sizzled me a few months back. You simply spray some heat shield on before you add any form of heat and it’s like adding a protective layer to your locks.
- I have a few other hair styling products I use that you will want to try and I will share those when I get to the hair styling post I’m working on. This should be enough to get you started on the path to healthier hair that will look and feel great. Check out my source guide for my favorite hair care products below.
Those are the steps I take for my fine hair, hair care routine and here is a list of the products I use and love. You can click each highlighted link to shop online and get these products delivered to your door. Queue that chorus again. I will give you a few options sometimes because I change products A LOT. I love to find new things, but when I get a winner I stick with it. Anything on this list is something I currently use and love or have used and would use again. Let me know if you have any questions and if you have a favorite product PLEASE tell me in the comments below – I want to try it!
My Favorite Hair Care Products:
- Click any green highlighted link below to purchase these products online, I hope that makes it easier for you. I always shop online for my favorites and get them delivered strat to my door instead of hunting around for them in multiple stores.
- Moroccan Oil Clarifying Shampoo – I love this for a really good clean feel to my hair, removes all the hair product I use during the week.
- Maison 276 Hair Care System – I was turned off by the small bottles origianlly, but soon learned when you shampoo once a week these babies go a loooong way. I noticed a difference in my hair the first time I used this product. It felt healthier. If you get the system it has a non-violet clarifying shampoo that tones grey and yellow hair, a moisturizing shampoo that doesn’t weigh your hair down and a light weight moisturizer. I go back and forth between this clarify product and the Moroccan Oil one listed above.
- Fanola No Yellow Shampoo – I use this a few times a month, especially when it is close to my hair appointment and my color is getting brassy. I like to put it on my hair right when I get in the shower, while my hair is dry. I let it sit a few minutes. You need to tweak this process. If you leave it too long it will turn your hair a little blueish. Wash your hands immediately after application because it stains some. If you leave it on too long, wash a few times and it will fade. I really LOVE how powerful this shampoo is and the change it make in the color of my hair.
- Wet Brush – This pink wet brush is the exact one I use and love. I have the black one too, but I don’t love it as much because it isn’t as firm. I leave one in the shower and one where I do my hair. I use a different brush for styling that I will discuss later.
- Fast Dry Hair Towel Wrap – I use this after the shower. I wrap my hair and let it soak up the extra dampness while I get dressed. They are lightweight and not bulky so they are easy to wear. It helps your hair dry faster, but is not a completely dry miracle worker.
- Shower Cap – Did you knw they make cute shower caps now? Yes, because it has become so popular to wash your hair less, you can now find shower caps that are fun! This floral number is the one I have.
- Moroccanoil Dry Shampoo – this is the best dry shampoo. It smells fabulous too. It comes in a light or dark shade and you will want to grab it based on your hair color. If you have dark hair and get the light it will look powdery. Spray it on your roots in the spots you get oily for a clean fresh look, extra body and lengthen the time between washes.
- Living Proof Dry Shampoo – This is my second favorite dry shampoo and it only comes in second because I like the smell of the other one slightly better!
- Moroccanoil Light Treatment – This is a light oil I use occasionally on my wet hair. Work through the ends of your hair with your fingers or wet brush. You only need to use a small amount at a time.
- Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Heat Styling Spray – If you use heat products (think blow dry, flat iron, curling iron) on your hair this is a life saver. It protects hair for up to 450 degree heat! It is a fine spray that you use below any heat application for protection. ⚡⚡ I’ve used it since by fried ends fiasco. ⚡⚡
Let me know if you use any of these products, or have a different personal favorite. I appreciate all the questions and kind words I receive about my hair from y’all, so I hope this helps you. I know it seems like a lot, but remember I didn’t go out and start this routine all at once. I add things, try things and change it up often and over the years have developed a system that works for me. Save this post to Pinterest or somewhere you can come back to it when you want to add to your hair care routine.
Connect more here: