You guys know I LOVE to decorate for Halloween! It is such a fun time to let loose and be silly. Our back porch is a cozy spot and it got a quick little Halloween makeover with a few quick DIY projects to make it look extra cute and on trend! I worked with Joann to bring this Halloween porch decor to life, they had everything I needed to complete the look. Poor porch – it was still waiting for a change from July 4th! This post is sponsored by JOANN and contains affiliate links, all opinions and ideas are 100% my own.
Here a few things you can do to the Halloween decor you find or have on hand to make trendy updates. If you are like me I add new Halloween decorations to my stash every year and I always have to update my old Halloween pieces to tie everything together with the current trends. These ideas are so simple to do!
Trendy Halloween Updates:
- Layer your doormat: Layered doormats are all the rage and I absolutely love the look. I found this funny mat for our back porch at JOANN. To add an extra touch of Halloween and stay on trend with the doormat layering I grabbed a throw away tablecloth while I was there. Simply cut the tablecloth to fit your space and door mat and you have a precious entrance! There was enough of the tablecloth left over that I could make placemats or a table runner too. I love a good multi-use! This is perfect because you can toss the tablecloth layer after the holiday, who knows if layering will be a thing next year!
- Add Eyes: My mom crocheted this black pillow with Bernat outdoor yarn , which is super cool for patio pillows. I simply added giant cat eyes to the pillow for instant fun. JOANN has a ton of different types and sizes of google eyes and they are the easiest addition to plain decorations, you can turn anything into Halloween decor with these peel and stick eyes! Add them to pillows, baskets, buckets, trays, wreaths, plants or anything that stands still for a little extra spook!
- Add to your wreath: Who doesn’t love a holiday wreath? I sure do and I was so smitten with this gorgeous black wreath with wood chop flowers and glitter. It is elegant! Adding a sign or adornment to any wreath you buy or make is a sure way to customize and add pizzazz to your Halloween decor. I made a Sit a Spell sign with Glow glitter that I scored at JOANN. How cool is that? You can make one too… download the template to make your own sign here! Paint a wood sign black, print out the words I provide here, rub the back of your printout with chalk and trace onto the wood. Paint the letters, one at a time with Mod Podge and sprinkle with glow glitter, once dry, shake off excess and attach to your wreath. Think about adding bows, ribbons, ornaments or flowers to update a wreath to your style. Whatever fun addition you decide to tack onto your wreath, you can get the perfect supplies at JOANN.
- Shop your yard: This is always a favorite tip of mine. A budget friendly way to fill out your holiday decorations is by mixing in elements from your yard. I got some fun floral stems at JOANN and mixed in black eyeball filled flowers with dead branches I spray painted to fill out the large potted plant on my porch. Use the same idea inside or maybe add in dried grasses, flowers or greenery you clip from a walk. A touch of nature is always in style and on budget!
- Mix old and new: Keep your great new finds feeling cozy by mixing them in with your vintage furnishings and accents. The mix of old and new helps your decor look curated versus store bought. Like this precious stuffed owl resting on my DIY headboard bench or this cool “sewn” pumpkin nested on a rusty old basket beside a creepy spell book. When you collect great neutral pieces to mix in with your Halloween (or any holiday) finds it really makes everything look classic and the trends pop!
All the elements came together in this cute Halloween porch…now we just have to get our costumes ready! Do you and your family dress up? What are you going to be this year? We are planning a family costume of all different kinds of circus people…should be fun! Stay tuned. I’d love if you’d pin these tips for later and here is a handy shopping list to replicate our porch if you fell inspired. Happy Halloween!
Halloween Porch Decorating Ideas Shopping List
Connect more here: