Is it just me or is fall your favorite time to decorate? I know Christmas kind of gets all the decorating love, but fall is my favorite. The neutral colors, crisp air and all the elements of nature swirling around just get me a little giddy. I will say it’s easy to get swept up in what everyone else is doing when it comes to holiday decorating. Do you feel like your home doesn’t look straight out of a magazine sometimes and let that pressure get you down? I sure hope not, but I have been there before. I have some tips for you today that will turn your decorating doubt around. This fall home tour is sponsored by Kirkland’s and organized by my sweet friend Deb who blogs over at Seeking Lavender Lane. It was so fun to work with Kirkland’s, grab some great holiday additions and line up an AMAZING giveaway for one lucky reader…a $1,500 giftcard to Kirkland’s, yes FIFTEEN HUNDRED DOLLARS. You could do a lot of decorating damage with that! (like scoop up these cute acorns in this vignette…)
If you are visiting from the amazing Shabbyfufu Blog, WELCOME! I am so happy to have you here. Janet is such a talented lady, I’m thrilled to tell you guys she is just as nice and kind in person as she is on her blog. I loved meeting her and talking with her this summer at a blog conference we both attended. You will see our style is different but our love of vintage is the same!
When I see the latest trends I immediately feel like my junk lovin, cheap décor buyin’ self needs to shift to the masses. Only when I have moments of clarity and remember that my family and I are the only ones I aim to please when it comes to decorating do I climb off the ledge and settle into what my makes my heart sing. I have a few things I’ve learned over the years that have helped me evolve in my style and décor choices, I am hopeful they will help you too.
Here are a few tips to help you gain confidence in making your own fall décor style.
- Stop with the labels – This year I have a little more “boho” feeling vibe to my fall décor and for all the purposes of this blog I call it that because I am not sure what else to call it. My kids want to know what boho is because the word means nothing to them, lol. Unless you are super niche in your style the labels shouldn’t matter to you either! Just go with what you like and if it happens to fall under the category of one style or five, roll with it. You will see I am a mix of vintage, farmhouse, boho, French country and classic décor. Maybe more or less. I am a décor mutt to say the least and it works for me. So go all Heinz 57 with your bad self! You can see the rest of my fall table here.
- Update as you go – Decorating can get expensive if you haul off and change everything at once. Build elements into your stash that you can gradually add to over the years. Strong base pieces that are less trendy are great to have on hand. Then each year pick up a few new trendier pieces to layer in. I love these pillows I got from Kirkland’s. This year it was time for me to up my pillow game! I only added a few new things to my fall décor this year, pillows being one of them, but it looks completely different than last year. Plus there is nothing worse than buying all new stuff this year only to hate it next year when you pull it out of storage! If you go slow this won’t happen.
- Paint stuff – Want to go white this year or feel a strong pull to layer in pops of blue or green to your fall décor? Don’t toss your old pumpkins and décor pieces, just paint them! Then next year when you want another change, paint them again! It takes no time to do and adds your personal touch for your own fall décor style.
- Gather ideas, then use what you have – My fall home tour today is part of a huge group of bloggers bringing you beautiful fall décor ideas. Take some time to visit their homes and gather the ideas you like. Next spend time going through your cabinets and closets to find the similar items you already have on hand to pull in the designs your admire. Because this fun tour was sponsored by Kirkland’s you will likely notice a lot of the same products, but used in different ways. It just goes to show there is no correct way to decorate, it’s all about your personal touch! These metallic glass gourds where a new addition this year…I had everything else!
- Start small – I only decorate a few select spaces in my home each holiday. This makes the whole process fun and manageable. Don’t get overwhelmed thinking you have to decorate the whole house. If all you can swing this year is a great table setting then go for it and maybe next year add in changing up your mantel. The slow process of getting to know select areas in your home help you shop sales and out of season because you start to envision these little vignettes in your home and making them your own becomes second nature. Once you master one spot move to the next. I added the front porch this year and it has been so fun to decorate!
- Use free artwork – There are SO MANY free fall printables around for you to use, find one you love and build a space around it. This could even help you set the tone for making your own fall décor style if you aren’t sure where to start. Just search Pinterest for a ton of freebies at your fingertips! (I have some for you here!) When you have free stuff it helps open the budget to add in those other trendy items I talked about earlier!
- Color outside the lines – While I adore traditional fall colors, you may not and that’s ok! Go bold with an off the beaten path color for any season if that is what fits your décor style. The last few years I have added lots of plum purple to my fall lineup and I love it, but only for fall otherwise it doesn’t really blend with my day to day décor. Season are a fun time to change it up.
- Have fun – this is an extension of tip #1 but really and truly if you and your family walk in the door loving what you see that is all that matters. I love making our home bend to the seasons, it lifts my spirits and hopefully those of my husband and kiddos. Instead of feeling like a chore it feels fun and exciting, I love to get creative and expressive through the décor I sprinkle in our home. Decorating isn’t the most important thing in the world, but serving your family sure is! Chances are if you enjoy decorating too then it is a special gift God shared with you in hopes that you would share that gift with those around you, so have fun using your gifts to bless others!
I hope you enjoy touring the other homes today, thank you for coming to mine! Next please head over to my friend Roxanne’s, she has gorgeous style, but I know her and love her personally too!!! She blogs at The Honeycomb Home.
Shop My Fall Style to Start Your Own!
PLease check out these other amazing home tours here, you will love all the inspiration waiting for you, come back day to see the latest tours roll out! BUT FIRST, be sure to enter for your chance to win $1,500 to Kirkland’s, it is open until 11:59 p.m., Friday, Sept. 29! I hope one of my readers is the lucky winner!!! a Rafflecopter giveaway
Now visit these houses to see what you want to scoop up with your winnings from Kirkland’s!
Connect more here: