Having a down day? Need some ideas on what to do when a bad day hits, because it will happen, but it doesn’t have to take you down!
Everyone has a bad day every once in a while. What do you do when you have one of those days? Is there a phrase you say? Something you eat that brings a smile back to your face? Do you go shopping, or go for a walk?
Take a look at some great ideas shared by my sweet readers. Hopefully, they will help you if you are having a bad day.
Create an inspirational pinterest board
Bobbie Kilgore – I created a Pinterest board labeled “ Truths”. It is full of encouraging messages and scripture. When I’m having a bad day, I go through the board and read through them.
be kind to others
- Tae Ehret – “In a world where you can be anything, be kind”. Sometimes when we are having a bad day, it gets taken out on others even if it is unintentional. So remember to be kind.
- Melanie Meuller – When I am having a bad day I like to find a way to counter my negativity by putting something good into the world such as giving the kid in the drive through a tip bigger than my meal. Their smile gives ME a smile and turns my day around. Uplifting music helps too. Just try to sit still and be in a bad mood while listening to this!
- Kay Brasher – I just tell myself to be nice all day sometimes I have to work hard at it.
- I say – do something for someone else. Sometimes we just need to get away from ourself!
Listen to praise music
- Betty Prescott – I go outside to my bed swing and turn on my praise music! Sometimes I will take a nap. I painted a sign and put it above the swing called, The Mercy Seat.
- Tammy Rue Chancey – It’s usually Christian music, most resent favorite is Evidence by Josh Baldwin please listen.
- Donna Marie Allen – Music! Uplifting songs! Put on my headsets and soak up the praise and worship.
- Gerri Jacob – Bing Crosby sang, When I’m Worried, and I Can’t Sleep, I Count my Blessings Instead of Sheep. And I Fall Asleep, Counting My Blessings. Now I do this.
- This never fails! Or try an uplifting podcast sermon or inspirational talk.
- Mamaw Joje – I will go for a walk, marvel at nature, and count my blessings…so many things to be grateful for.
- Sue Peterson – Fresh air, a walk in my yard.
- Barbara Siefert Thomas – Go for a walk on the beach.
- Terry Shelton Underwood Parham – Whenever I am feeling like a gloomy Gus, I go outside. Whether I take a walk, do some yard work, or just sit; something about being outside calms my spirit.
- It’s hard to being looking for beauty and see ugly. If we shift our focus, get some fresh air and take in creation it is bound to bring a smile.
GO FOR A DRIVE
- Gail Gabriele Wilbanks – A drive on back roads or dirt roads singing along on Willie’s Roadhouse does it for me!
- Debi Pipla Pickens – When I had a convertible VW bug, I used to go for a long drive with my top off and sing at the top of my lungs.
- Beth Gallimore Connor – Jeep therapy for me. I get in my Jeep top down windows down turn up my music and just drive. It is the absolute best therapy for me.
- Sometimes I do this too! Often I cry, yell or just sing and it helps me.
call a girlfriend/mom
- Carolyn Gilliland – When we hang up I thank Jesus for never forsaking me. There is nothing like venting with a good girlfriend!
- Betty M Paul – If I have a bad day I just call my best friend and talk it out then we laugh. ALL GONE.
- Genia Kathleen – I call and visit with my Momma. She’s the best medicine for me.
- While I love this option, I personally have to be conscious of WHO I call. Make sure you are reaching out to someone who will give you Godly advice, wise discernment and especially someone who will lift you and not bring you further down!
do something creative
You know this is a big one for me, but several of you mentioned this as well.
- Jessica Dalbey says – Yesterday was that day, I prayed alot, sang comforting songs in my head, listen to the radio, took a walk and ended the day crafting.
- Vicky Kelley – I craft and makes me forget everything!!
- Sue Gump Gilliam – Grab my needlework and ignore everyone!
- Deb Maxwell Gauthier – Sometimes take my camera and take pictures . Other times I have just have a good cry.
- Pouring into a project, craft or design idea always makes me feel better!
BINGE AN UPLIFTING SHOW
- Melanie Mueller – Lately I go binge Jesus by watching The Chosen on the Chosen App. I have seen the first season a dozen times by now. And season 2 is starting off just as good!
- Make sure you have a great list of binge worthy (but remember UPLIFTING) shows to throw on when you need a minute to veg out and not think!
- Joann Willoughby – Shopping always cures a bad day!! Lol.. But if I’m having a bad day talking to or seeing my daughter always always makes me feel better!! She’s my go to person when anything goes wrong or even good things!! She’s always there when I need her and vise versa!! She’s my rock!!
- Sherrie Erving – I am in pain all the time few things make me happy but I try. I like to shop so today I went shopping not for long but got a new blouse.
- Deborra King – Thrift store shopping and ice cream.
- Stephanie White Ryans – Retail therapy ( LOL ) at TJ Maxx or Ross
- This one can get tricky if budgets are in play. I often love to shop for ideas! Just go refresh your creative juices and then make something!
Several of you mentioned chocolate. Everything in moderation, right?
- Sharla Rhodes Walker – This too shall pass. Then I have something chocolate.
- Marian Staley Spencer – Dark chocolate and Luna dog.
- Nancy Daniel – Chocolate!!! My go to answer for everything!!!
- Chocolate is always a winner to me, but so is ice cream and especially cupcakes! LOL – I have such a sweet tooth!
- Carol Dillbeck – I go to the YMCA and do Lap swimming this helps me put life into prospective.
- This bad day breaker is hard to get going sometimes but it REALLY works! During my horrible year I ran daily just so my mind and emotions wouldn’t explode. It was such a stress reliever for me. I highly recommend this option!
- Kathy Lucas Shelley – The serenity prayer gets a lot of use…also taking a deep breath and remembering that this too shall pass…
- Sally Holland – my go to phrase as a single mom of 5——this too shall pass. and now that it has and they are all in their 50’s and grandparents, I miss them and all the little problems.
- Gail McAllen – Even when I am not having a good day, I find the good in the day. Prayer is my “go to” as it always lifts me up. Also, I try to craft as it is a great distraction.
- Kim Lewis Buerky – I may cry a bit, but I usually sit down and talk to my Father in heaven!!
- Charlotte Millette – I give myself a talking too, read encouraging words and give it to God.
- Annie Powers Brown – I raise up a hallelujah in the middle of my circumstance!
- Joyce Shelton – I prayerfully give thanks to God for 5 things I’m thankful for. Problems seems small then.
- Mary Case Wardlow – I thank Jesus for staying by me, holding my hand 24/7 & for taking my troubles and giving me peace and comfort, then I chill out, relax.
- Linda Hogan – I pray and thank Jesus for a beautiful day. Then, I sometimes cry
- The Lord is faithful and ALWAYS by our side. You guys know Be Still is my go to – it never fails me because it gives room for God to move, work and speak!
VISIT THE GRANDKIDS
Several of you mentioned an instant pick me up after visiting the grandkids.
- Darlene Hall – I touch base with my grandkids. Nothing brings lifts me up faster.
- Florence Styres – Go outside and walk or play with my grandkids.
- I don’t have grandkids yet, but sometimes sending the grandkids off helps on this end – LOL!
spend time with animals
It’s true when they say that animals can help with your spirits. So many of you mentioned your animals.
- Rowdie Rapparlie – Hang out with my dogs, horses and chickens. The best things of my day. And the best thing of my evening is hang out with my hubby.
- Pam Wrike – Walking my dog at a park. Everyone seems happy at a park!
- Kathy Koppinger Bickford – My German Shepherd she always knows what to do to help
- Nancy Stauner – Take the dog for a walk
- Animals are my emotional support sooooo often! I find that they are always ready to snuggle and love when you need it!
enjoy a favorite drink
- Michelle Brand – My Starbucks mocha(canned), poured over ice and watching YouTube videos, via smart tv, on decorating and organizing; then…BAM! I jump up and get moving!
- Deb Harris – A cup of coffee out on the porch by myself.
- Linda Holder – A quiet day with a book and a cup of hot tea.
- Lois MccLellen King – I know it’s not good, but I have a drink!
- Jacqueline Obrien Iangan – If it’s going really bad I stop what I’m doing get into shower put on lounge clothes put a glass of wine and chill out cos it ain’t going to get any better but tomorrow is a new day with new energy.
- Angela Carrera – Walk outside. Pour a glass of merlot. Just take a breath and go on.
- Not much will change a moment like a good cup of tea, coffee or fav beverage. Treat yourself by keeping your favorites on hand or get out of the house and go grab a drink for a mood changer.
take a nap
- Rebecca Paxton – Take a nap cause it is hard to deal when having a bad day.
- Judy Buchanan – I just get in my recliner, cover my head up and take a nap!
- I can’t say enough about the power of a nap. It might feel lazy, or like you don’t have time, but recharging your battery this way is a miracle worker!
I’d love to hear any other task, ideas or things that help you deal with a bad day! I think sometimes we just need to shift our focus and break the cycle of thinking about whatever it is bringing us down. Remember – tomorrow is a new day and God’s promises are new each morning!
Connect more here: