Is that crisp cool air I feel outside? No, it’s just hot in Texas so I’m willing on fall with a super fun Dollar Tree fall decor idea. Because if it’s hot you might as well be cute right? Did you catch my 5 days of fall projects over on Facebook (if not start here)? Well this little fall project was one of them, and don’t tell the others, but it’s my favorite. I don’t want to hurt any feelings.
You stopped by on a good day too. I have a few other friends sharing dollar store projects for fall, so you are sure to leave with a full belly of pumpkin spice all the things. Be sure to check them out!
Here is how a few little supplies from the dollar store can mix with your fall decor to stir up something spectacular. I made a little video so you could see just how easy it is to paint the fall banner for your home.
This banner is perfect on the fridge, on a door know, as a door hanger, over a chest or armoire, layered on a wreath or worked into a gallery wall. So many options.
Friend – you can totally do this and I can’t wait for you to show me what you come up with! Please tag me if you share on Facebook or Instagram! Here is a supply list and written tutorial for you, I’d love for you to pin it before you go please and thank you.
Fake Fall leaves in a package or pulled off the stem – you want a few different shapes and sizes (Dollar Tree Item)
Stiff Paint Brush
Paint pallet, paper plate or little bowls
Sharpie – I used a brown one (dollar store item)
Stick from your yard – FREE
Fabric scraps ( you can cut up pillow cases or any fabric from the dollar store. OR if you want you can use lengths of drop cloth and paint or dye it!)
DIY Fall Banner Tutorial
- Cut drop-cloth to the desired size of your banner. I rip mine on the sides for a worn look.
- Take your dollar store leaves and trace them with a Sharpie onto the banner. Leave room at the top and bottom. Draw in some veins and stems to your leaves (you could use any shape for this idea for any holiday! Oh the possibilities!).
- Get a few fall colors on a plastic paint pallet and water them down.
- Using a stiff paint brush paint your leaves, using water to spread the paint and bleed the Sharpie. Do’t over-saturate your drop cloth or the paints will bleed too much and it just looks messy! You may want to practice on scrap fabric. The paint will look darker while wet and dries to a more washed out subtle color. Don’t be afraid to mix and layer your paint colors for a gorgeous leaf design.
- Use a stick and fold the top of the banner over it, secure the fabric with Fabri Tac glue.
- Tie jute rope to each side of the stick to hang your banner from.
- You can use a stick on the bottom too, just hem it up with the glue plain, add pom poms, tassels or do what I did and add a fabric garland.
- Cut long strips of fall fabric, drop-cloth or neutral fabric about 3/4 inch wide. Cut a small snip in the bottom of the banner and in the top of each strip of fabric and loop the fabric through the banner and then back through itself. Use multiple strips in each hole and use a variety of colors and patterns for added flair.
- Hang your cute fall banner up and enjoy your budget friendly fall DIY.
Don’t forget to check out the other fall dollar store projects my friends made before you go and don’t forget to show me what you make, I can’t wait! EEK…
Connect more here: