If you have a dapper little doggie (or cat) like we do you NEED these easy DIY dog bow ties in your life. The ones I am teaching you today are especially cute because they are made from the material of old neckties!
Using vintage neckties is a favorite twist I like to add to my DIY arsenal. The vintage fabrics are so fun, loud and often not going to be used “as is” ever again! I gather neckties from garage sales and thrift stores for $1 or less and the more outdated the fabric the better. You could use regular fabric or trendy, current ties for this project if it suits you better. Oliver and I are just old souls. BTW – here are a few other necktie projects for you to try: jewelry | wreath | art
How to make a Dog Bow Tie:
- Start by deconstructing your necktie and ironing the fabric flat.
- Cut out a rectangle. I made mine 8″ X 4″ because Oliver is a small dog, you might want to increase or decrease the size based on your pet.
- Fold the fabric in half longways, right sides facing on another.
- Sew the edge together.
- Turn right side out and iron flat with the seam down the middle of the backside.
- Lay fabric seam side up and fold in the two ends to meet in the middle.
- Sew down the middle to hold the outer edges in the center.
- Pinch in the middle and sew it together.
- Wrap a small piece of fabric around the center and use Fabric glue to hold it together on the back.
- Sew a small piece of elastic to a felt disc. You might want to use dark elastic if you have a dark color.
- Sew or glue the elastic disc to the back of the bow tie.
- Slide your bow tie onto your collar and change out for fun.
- Send me pictures of your precious pet – Oliver and I would love to see them!
Have a fun day finding ties and making bows for your furr baby. 🐶🐱
Connect more here: