Learn how to make A DIY scrap wood snowman family with this easy tutorial.
Nothing beats a good scrap wood project idea that is perfect for your Christmas decor. This little DIY scrapwood snowman family makes my heart warm like hot chocolate!
I seriously had so much fun rummaging through my junk drawers to make these snowmen from repurposed bits and pieces of screws and scraps we had tucked in jars and drawers.
You can make them too!
The big secret to these Christmas cuties is a landscape timber. You can use any kind of scrap wood you have handy, but to get the round-ish shape of these snowmen then you will want to grab a landscape timber from your local hardware store.
They run about $5-$8 dollars and one will be enough to make an entire family. (I’ll give you a supply list below for ease)
I used my favorite chop saw (that I got for my birthday last year, because that’s the kind of thing I ask for ????) and cut my wood into the following lengths. Of course you can make these as big or small as you like!
Wood Cuts for Snowman Home Decor:
- Start with a landscape timber
- For the family of 5 snowmen you see here cut the following lengths of landscape timber (or other scrap wood).
- 1 -5″
- 1 – 4″
- 1 – 3″
- 3 – 2″
- 5 – 1′
- For the animals I used a 1 inch thick dowel rod and 2X2 wood piece, both cut down to approximately 2″ Here is little Oliver…
You can play around with different heights and thicknesses to match your family. This would be a great DIY snowman craft to do with kids or grandkids.
See how cute our Gigi is:
Next gather up scraps of fabric, junk drawer items, left over nuts and bolts, whatever you can find to bring your little Frosties to life! Here is Dad/my hubby…
You could make these with any theme really, just go crazy. I love to give each snowman the personality of the person it represents.
Especially with the face…a smile, a smirk a tiny grin, have fun with it! Here is our oldest son Hank, my dapper dude…
If you make your own, I’d love to see them! Until then here is a supply list to help you out:
DIY Wooden Snowmen Supply List
- Landscape Timber
- Saw – this is mine and my favorite!!!
- 2″ X 2″ wood pieces and/or 1 ” dowel
- Hot Glue Gun
Check out my youngest, Sadler – A sports lover!
- Glue Sticks – these are awesome
- Paint – I used black and white only
- Sharpie – this one is what I used for the face
Here is my sweet daughter Mae, a fashionable teenager now!
- Felt/burlap/dropcloth/misc. fabric for clothes
- Junk draw items like keys, screws, bolts, thumbtacks, buttons, feathers, faux flowers, ribbon, yarn, wired jute, clothespins, etc.
Here is me, crazy accessory wearer and scarf lover…
Pin this project for inspiration later…
Here is the whole family together.
And out on display for Christmas. Of course I need to make two cats so this lazy (see him, he blends in!) mess doesn’t get jealous and sit on the new decor 😉 !
You may also enjoy these DIY scrap wood projects:
Make this adorable DIY snowman family from repurposed wood and pieces of screws and scraps. It is easy to make and will be a sweet addition to your winter decor.
- Landscape Timber
- 1" Thick Dowel Rod
- 2X2 Wood Piece
- Scrap Fabric
- Nuts and Bolts
- Hot Glue Gun
- Cut the landscape timber to size for a family of five: 1 -5″, 1 – 4″, 1 – 3″, 3 – 2″.
- Cut the 1" thick dowel rod and 2X2 wood piece, to approximately 2″.
- Gather up scraps of fabric, junk drawer items, left over nuts and bolts and decorate the snowman as you like using hot glue.
- Decorate with your adorable snowman family and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Connect more here: